Thursday, February 24, 2011

Week 5, Thing #11 Web 2.0 Awards List

I decided to try Mozy because I had used it briefly in the past between my home and work computer, but when my computer at work was updated, the Mozy download was wiped off. I have left it alone (for almost a year), thinking I would try it again. Besides, I also suspected that administration would have a discussion with me if they noticed it on my hardware.

I logged on to Mozy only to find this great "free" resource had become successful enough, or large enough, to charge customers for the storage. Several reasons I really liked it when I was doing the trial included backup against hard drive problems, access to my work documents from home, and the potential to share my work with a family member or co-worker.

Mozy is not as attractive when an minimum annual home use subscription fee is$109.89. While that allows the user to download to three computers and offers a maximum of 125 GB, a portable hard drive becomes very appealing. For business purposes, it is a great deal more attractive because it could save on the purchase of huge storage computers, space to house them, and employees to service them. Since I am not on that end of our school network, I have nothing to compare--but I strongly suspect that cloud environments like Mozy will be in our future.

I went to LinkedIn and linked in. Of course I have an account with quite a number of friends and colleagues, but I went out and found another librarian to add along the way. I found that I had already joined Library 2.0 at some time in my past, so I updated my profile and added a post.

No comments: